Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Marriage and Darwin

I had a busy weekend, as is often the case of a 21st century dad. This was different, though. Kelly and I went to the Love & Respect marriage conference in Lansing. It was a fantastic conference. The speaker is the author of the book by the same title, Emerson Eggerich and his wife Sarah. The basic premis is: As much as women need unconditional love, men need unconditional respect. It's biblical based, which means Oprah and her audience would boo the writer off the stage. Imagine, giving men respect. The guys get their share of learning, too. It's one of those things I wish I'd known twenty years ago. As much as I love my wife, I came back with a whole new understanding of her and even deeper love.

This is our second major marriage conference in the last ten years, along with a dozen or so books. I'm often amazed at men (and women, for that matter) who will spend hours of their free time learning how to improve their business, teaching their kids a sport, or working out in the gym, but not spend a minute working on their marriage. What in the world could be more important?

Okay, I won't preach (today). After the conference we went to see Expelled. Cool flick. Ben Stein attacks the issue of institutional Darwinism with his usual wit. What I found most interesting, as many a believer can understand, is that the arguments of some of the most intelligent men in America sounded pretty darn lame to me. I always think of the bible verse that says "I will confound the wise." That pretty much sums it up. In order for faith to make sense, you have to have it first! I'm offended by the whole notion that Christians are just fools clinging to a false hope because we just isn't smart enough to get all that there science stuff.

Please. I'm not a bitter, small-town American and I'm not stupid (though I have my moments). Don't look down your ivy-league snoot and brush me off because my interpretation of life and creation don't match yours. The idea that, if our 6lb. brain can't prove the existence of the God of the universe, then He must not exist, is the height of arrogance.

Okay, that's enough for today. I could go on for pages.

No comments: