Friday, December 23, 2005

Merry Christmas from Wherever!

I've always wondered what a "normal" Christmas is. I'll be 39 years old at the end of this month, and I've never celebrated Christmas the same way twice. I've spent Christmas:

1. In Pearl City, Hawaii
2. In Port Orchard and Bremerton, Washington
3. In San Diego, California
4. In Virginia Beach and Yorktown, Virginia
5. In Navy Boot Camp in Orlando, Florida
6. In the Persian Gulf onboard the USS Okinawa
7. In Davisburg, Pontiac, Lapeer, Waterford, and Oxford, Michigan
8. Without knowing Jesus for 30 years
9. Knowing Jesus for 8 years

I keep hearing about "traditions." What's a tradition? I'll tell you what it is. It's knowing that you have friends and family you love and who love you. From halfway around the world to sitting at the table next to me, I've always had people to celebrate Christmas with, people who I wouldn't want to forge into a new year without.

Merry Christmas to all my new friends and my old ones. I am truly blessed.

3 comments:

Dineen A. Miller said...

Hi Guy! What an awesome list. Hope this year is extra special. Proud to be counted one of your new friends.
Blessings for the New Year!

Camy Tang said...

Merry Christmas, Ron! (Wish I could be in Pearl Harbor this year, grumble grumble...)
Camy

Unknown said...

Well said, my friend! Blessings to you and the family!