Monday, May 12, 2008

Real Freedom

In this morning's Oakland (Michigan) Press, I read an article about a family that moved to South Africa to work with children who are victims of the AIDS epedimic. The thing is, this guy had a good job in computer programming, a wife, and three beautiful little girls. He also had a very nice house in an upscale neighborhood.

He quit his job, sold the house and everything in it, and hauled his family on a mission trip. And they're all happy about it.

Now that's freedom.

That's the kind of freedom Jesus talked about. The thing is, the freedom is already there. We just have to have the the courage to reach out and take it. Why do we believe that we're trapped in whatever situation we're in? Who's richer: the guy making a million dollars a year or the guy who can sell it all off and go do the Lord's work?

I don't know what will happen tomorrow, next week, or next year. The RV market (my business) can come crashing down and I'll be left with nothing. But here's my freedom: I'll still be filled with joy, even if I'm working the double shift at Wal-mart and living in my trailer.

19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Mt 6:19-21

That's freedom.

No comments: