Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Writing chum Robin has been issuing prayer requests for her husband. I'm not sure if I'm at liberty to say what for, so I'll leave it at that. He needs healing...physically. By now, maybe some spiritual. If it were me, I'm sure I'd need both.

It's always toughest to see those you love going through hardship. Helplessness is probably one of the worst feelings a person can tolerate. We often wish the pain upon ourselves. At least, then, we have options, even if they're not good ones. How often does a parent sit up with a child in pain, praying for God to transfer that pain to themselves?

I don't want to place Robin's situation on the same level as a child with an ear ache, but one can imagine the torment she's going through. I imagine several breakables in her house have come to violent destruction.

I often wonder what it was like for the disciples as they watched Jesus die on the cross. Such torment to their souls would have been comparable to a few moments in hell. To watch the man they loved and knew as the Messiah being whipped, spit on, and laughed at. All the while standing silent. Can you put yourself there? Can you even come close to feeling their pain?

But it was that pain that launched the incredible wave of evangelism that spreads to this day. Perhaps even Saul witnessed the crucifixion, laughed and scoffed with the other onlookers. Imagine his shame later as he preached to the gentiles. No thorn in his side would even compare to the suffering of his heart.

I will pray for Robin and Case. Not just for the physical healing, though, but that their faith will be strengthened. God has a plan for them, though they're only concern right now is to get through this day.

Grace and Peace be with you all.

No comments: