Friday, February 02, 2007

Marketing You Betcha

As I near the day when I find myself signing a book contract, my mind is already steering toward the question: What next?

If you've been reading guys like Terry Whalin and Randy Ingermanson, you have a good idea what's next. You've busted your keys for a year or more on a novel. Before, that, you've likely shed a few tears over novels that were pronounced DOA. And before that, you've spent years 'n years learning and perfecting your craft. We like to call it a craft. It makes us feel artsy. The fact is, my fellow artists, if you don't have a little Trump in your soul, or are at least willing to get a little Trump in your soul, your art won't get into too many hands, and your publisher may one day invite you to find a new publisher.

It's harsh, yes. That's me. I turned 40 last month, so I think that gives me just enough years to tell it like it is. Just barely.

So, I'm going to be writing a lot more on this subject. I hope a few of you will join me. I won't try to re-invent the ice-cream cone, but I will be picking up some clues from guys like Terry, Randy, Chip MacGregor, and Bob Bly (more on him later, but do check out his website).

Here's your first rule: keep your blog postings short. I'm probably pushing the limit already today. If you want to join the new revolution of the Marketing Writer, stick around. Oh, by the way, if you're not sure aggressive marketing fits in with the Christian World View, I'll have to disagree. Going out into the world to spread the Good News is marketing. Paul wore out his sandals doing it. We will wear out our keyboards.

2 comments:

Mark Terry said...

As Lawrence Block pointed out once, Charles Dickens either invented the book tour... our St. Paul did.

Dineen A. Miller said...

Wow, you even changed the name of your blog. Onward oh wise one. I'll gladly follow the wake of your traverse to learn the wonders of said Marketing Writer. :-)