Monday, February 19, 2007

Blogs and the bloggers who blog them

On my first post to the new format, I asked you to read Randy Ingermanson's newsletter and think about your empire. You may or may not have a specific empire in mind by now. Me? I think I do, but I'm still turning it over. That's fine. This isn't a race. Just don't beat to death.

With that in mind, your empire I mean, I want you to look at your blog. No blog? Get one. It's free, easy, and the quickest way to start building your empire. Blogger is fine, but check out a few of the others available, too. The best way to do that is visit the blogs you like, see how they're laid out, and go with the provider of the one you like best.

Most of you have blogs. What do you talk about there? The weather? Your kid's latest discovery under an old sheet of plywood? Britanny's latest hair style?

Stop it.

You heard me. Stop the insanity! Your empire should be focused. And so should your blog. If your empire is Siamese cats, don't blog about anything that has nothing to do with Siamese cats. If your empire is cast iron cooking, don't you dare enter a post that doesn't contain several pounds of iron.

"But Ron!" You cry. "I need a place to tell my friends what's going on in my life!"

Fine. Get another blog, title it "Stuff About Me," and use that to get all your editorial needs out of your system. Didn't I say blogs (most of them) are free? You can have two. Some people have five or six. I'll save them for another post. Your marketing plan should include a blog that reflects the central theme of your writing.

I promise you, if you start a blog that's specific to your empire, you will find a lot more people stopping in. People with similar interests. People who don't want to hear about how cute your kids are (I do, but not on your empire blog). People who read. People who will someday read your novels!

So hop to it. Give me those blogs! And keep 'em focused.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blog? Blog? How do I find time for that when I can barely find time to write? Are you a real person or are you a corporation masquerading as a real person?

Perhaps you have learned to clone yourself? Maybe I could borrow one of you to do my blog?

In all seriousness, many have been suggesting I start a blog, but I think I need to define my empire first. If I want my family and friends to know what's going on in my life, I'll phone or email them. One blog is more than I can fathom, now...let alone more than one.

Had to come see what you looked like...

Unknown said...

He does go on, doesn't he? Let me explain that last sentence, Michael! We're both converging on the the Bethany writer's workshop next weekend and wanted to be able to recognize one another. E-mail signatures don't reveal a whole lot. I may be on a mission to push Mr. Ehret into the 20th century. We'll work on the 21st later. One step at a time.

Anonymous said...

I love blogs and blogging. What a great platform building tool and way to connect with people who are passionate about the same things that I love. With less than a year as a blogger under my belt, I've already been speaking and teaching others how to use this amazing tool! Thanks for sharing!

Sports Picks said...

What a great platform building tool and way to connect with people who are passionate about the same things that I love. With less than a year as a blogger under my belt, I've already been speaking and teaching others how to use this amazing tool! Thanks for sharing!