Thursday, October 20, 2005

Up North

For those of you unfamiliar with Michigan, Up North is an actual geographic location. You won't see it on a map, but you'll know when you're there. Your first indication that you've arrived Up North is the sudden presence of "Jerky Outlets" and something called the "Family Bar."

I did not spend my time in a Family Bar nor did I eat any beef jerky (though, come to think of it, that would have been good). I unhooked my 33' travel trailer in the middle of state land for our annual Doe Camp. It's supposed to be a hunting camp involving members of the Old Doe Hunters Association (me, my dad, a guy named Pete, my brother, and a cousin). We pretend to hunt for a while, then settle in to book reading, cigar smoking, etc. Some of the members partake in adult beverages. I don't, I lock myself in my trailer with my laptop. I also lock myself out of my truck, but that's another story.

Major changes have occured to the opening chapter of Soul Searcher. Gina suggested I move the inciting incident closer to where it says "Chapter 1." So I did. And it ain't bad. I'm hoping to be through editing by the end of the year. By that time we should know where our Wicklow Series stands (yet another story) and I'll make the appropriate changes to my piece of it--Killing Yesterday.

That's a lot of arns in the fahr (that's irons in the fire for youse that don't know southern). But I'm developing a system of sorts for my plotting and my editing. I'll get there one of these days.

No comments: