Saturday, February 11, 2006

Too Cozy

Okay, I'm having writer identity issues. I love my suspense novels, especially the supernatural type. And that's what I've set out to write. There was the slight diversion into romantic suspense, thanks to the Fearsome Foursome (aka. Fantastic Four), but it's still suspense. But I also love to slow down the pace and pick up a cozy, or not so cozy, mystery. I find that my writing pattern is matching my reading pattern. I have this strong desire to write a cozy mystery (series, hopefully) based on a retired detective who opens a diner in northern Michigan (God's country).

My friend Robin is gagging as we write/read. In her not-so-humble opinion, there must be the shedding of blood, or we have no story. I, however, love over the top characters as much as a love a good shock. In a suspense, the characters have to be pretty realistic. In a cozy mystery, you can have realistic or totally outrageous. If you read Story Board, you see I have a tendancy toward the outrageous.

So what's a writer to do? We're told to find our niche and stick to it. Sometimes I picture myself writing under two different names, one for suspense, one for mysteries. I'm sure many of my buds have this same problem. I know all of my CPs have toyed in more than one genre. Eventually you have to make a decision. Who knows, maybe Stephen King will come out with a chick lit next year. His chick will, undoubtedly, grow fangs every full moon, but still...

I guess if having too many ideas is my biggest problem, I'm doing okay.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL...now, I love a good mystery, of course, I love the nice corpses better, but you can always work those into a cozy. LOL I'm using pen names, myself. I stay within the main genre of suspense, but I play around in the sub-genres quite a bit. I guess when I get published I'll know where to stick with my "branding", but until then, I enjoy playing!

Dineen A. Miller said...

I think it's great that your exlporing. I think as we learn, our focus evolves as well as our ability. I keep wondering where I'll wind up! LOL!

Ronie Kendig said...

I have toyed with several genres, but will never be brave enough to go -lit. LOL I've gagged Robin enough times telling her I've got three hystericals hidden away, but i've also dabbled in romantic suspense, military romantic suspense, and eve contemporary romance (although suspense always creeps in there somehow). Through that exploration, y9ou find your niche.

Camy Tang said...

Personally, I love the "outrageous" you put out on StoryBoard. You really shine with that tongue-in-cheek stuff. Actually, most of the male writers I know shine in that tongue-in-cheek stuff--HEY is this gender specific? No fair! No wonder I'm not funny. {Camy pouts}

Camy

Anonymous said...

As soon as I cipher how to use this, I'll have a few things to "comment" on.

Dad Estrada

Unknown said...

Hey, if I couldn't decide between writing mysteries or supernatural suspense, I'd definitely go for the mystery. Much easier sell I believe. Especially with the new fiction line looking for cozies.

I myself couldn't care less about a cozy mystery so I won't waste my time and readers time trying to write one that's good. But for you, go for it!